The Heidelberg Heritage Society, Wernersville PA was incorporated in September 1976.
The Lerch Tavern was acquired in 1977 to serve as the Society's headquarters and museum.
The land, which is the site of the Lerch Tavern, was purchased in 1752. John Yost Lerch constructed a two-story stone building on the site in 1797. The Mansard roof was added later by Benneville Lerch, a grandson of John Yost Lerch.
The Lerch Tavern was designed to serve stagecoach and other travelers of that time. Following the Lerch family, Henry Binkley operated the tavern until 1825. After the tavern was closed, the building was converted into living quarters for two families
and later renovated to accommodate various business establishments.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Pennsylvania Inventory, and the Berks County Conservancy.
Built in 1927 to replace a small frame structure which had served as the Lebanon Valley Railroad passenger station beginning
in 1857. The existing station was served by the Lebanon Valley Branch of the Philadelphia and Reading Company.
The Heidelberg Heritage Society has restored the Wernersville Train Station in the interests of historic preservation.
Membership in the Heidelberg Heritage Society is open to all
who are interested in helping to preserve local history.
Annual Dues (January 1 to December 31)
$10.00 - Individual Membership $18.00 - Household Memberhip $25.00 - Sustaining Member $175.00 - Individual Lifetime Membership